Facts about the IBM Selectric Typewriter
- The IBM Selectric was first released to public on July 31, 1961.
- IBM spent 7 years developing the Selectric typewriter.
- Designed by Eliot Noyes
- The IBM Selectric contains over 2800 parts.
- Selectric II was released in 1971.
- The Correcting Selectric II was released in 1973.
- Selectric III was released in 1980.
- IBM sold over 13 million Selectric typewriters worldwide.
- IBM retired the Selectric line in 1986, eventually replaced by the electronic IBM Wheelwriter series.